Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tails from Home -- Reggie

Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers,

We have made it to double digits...10 days of 'Tails from Home'!  Today we hear from Reggie's family.  Enjoy!

I had been eyeballing a greyhound named Barry on the website.  A handsome red and white with ticking.  His racing name was Roid Rage and now was called Barry due to Barry Bonds’ affinity for steroids.  I was talking to his foster mom telling her that I was interested, but heading off to a vacation in Mexico.  The whole time I was in Mexico, I couldn’t stop thinking about that boy.  I was already thinking of a different name as Barry seemed a little feminine-even though I love Barry Manilow and Barry Gibb.  I thought Reg or Reggie was close to Roid Rage, so that’s what it would be!  Later I found out there was a Reggie who was a steroid user as well….so fitting.


Reggie was a new type of greyhound for us-he was alpha!  He was always talking to other dogs, tail up, shoulders back letting them know who was in charge. He even tried to tell me who was in charge!  But I made sure he knew who was boss. He earned the name Reginator –like the terminator because he was large and trying to be in charge!   In addition to being alpha, he was a “mouthy” grey.  Pulling my hair ties out of my hair, nibbling many parts of the body including the butt!  He even chews on his “knees” and his dog tags-what a crazy boy!  He loves to talk in a low trill that surprised me when I first got him. I thought he was growling at me!   Now I find it so funny and endearing-we usually say “What’s up Willis?” from the TV show in the 80’s and he will start talking even more!   Reg also has an affinity for touch.  He likes to run up and down the couch like a cat.  He likes to run himself under my clothes in the closet, he runs his face along the floor with his butt up in the air. 


Reggie is always up for an adventure, he loves to walk, he hosts a meet and greet, has been in many parades, pet expos, state fairs, and many other things.  He loves a good car ride even if it is just going to the store and back.  Always a man that is ready to take on anything with gusto!


Reggie just keeps us laughing with all of his antics, there is not enough paper to tell you all about this goofy, crazy boy.  He truly has taught us not to judge a grey by its cover.  It took me awhile to realize that he was not be being mean or aggressive, he just has an over the top personality with vocalizing and nibbling.  To this day I have to tell people that he is not growling-he just is talking.  Reg has mellowed as he has gotten older and will share his bed or the couch at his grandma’s house and has even allowed Harry to be in his space.  His personality is larger than life and he loves to have fun and we absolutely love it!


Thanks for sharing Reggie's 'tails' with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment