Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tails from Home -- Petey and Hugo

Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers!

We have made it two full weeks into our 30 days of 'Tails from Home'!  Yay...and thanks to everyone who has participated so far!  Today we hear from Petey and Hugo's family!  Enjoy!

Petey is half of a dynamic duo – with her sister Copy That, the other half of this same aforementioned duo.  

Copy (Left) & Petey (Right)


I call her my little bare-butt beauty – my Dot Girl though when I sing to her I call her Petey Wheaty.  I don’t know much about the years from her racing days to brood mama to our house so I can only tell you that she is a silly little girl with big eyes and  an even bigger personality.  When I first saw her picture I wanted to name her Elizabeth, but after I met her she was such a little itty-bit, seemed wrong to make her have a name bigger than she is, not to mention everyone loved the name Petey so we stayed with that.  

Petey loves to see her family (and if she knows you, you are family) and her friends. Folks at our meets may think she is shy until they come to our house and then they see her bat her four-legged friends on the leg as if to say – golly I’m so happy to see you.  Is there anyone Petey hasn’t rubbed up against to let you know how special she thinks you are?  



 My Dot Girl has many boyfriends, and seems to be particularly drawn to the younger boy dogs that come to the house for a stay.  Foster dogs who are kenneled are in for a treat when I get home because Petey is the first one instigating play and crouches into a play bow before I can even get the kennel door unhinged.  I could call her my trouble-maker as she will munch down a violet, begonia, coleus quicker than her mama can cross the room.  I tell her not to stir up so much trouble when I come home but she never listens.  She is our whirl of happy, and that pretty much is all that counts. 


Hugo is the man of our house – with nicknames ranging from Handsome Hugo, Hugo Baby, and like may greyhounds, he is my stinky-butt boy.  Hard to believe it is almost two years now and he still prefers not to sit down in the van, though he is the first to reach the garage door in hopes that is where we are headed.  Might also be hard to believe that though we don’t know much about the first ten years of his life, I can tell you the best were saved for last.  He is a regular Benjamin Button, seeming to get younger as the months go by.  He now does twirlies in the back yard, can lift his leg for a long pee, and well gosh – for a dog who was an only boy he sure has a collection of friends himself that he enjoys when they come to visit.  He was such a sad, bewildered dog the day I picked him up and now he is my smiley boy.  Can’t tell you what a delight he is for us.  On the reserved side, not the one to rub his head up your leg like his housemate, but we feel so lucky every day he is with us – Hugo is like that fine wine that gets better with age, our Benjamin Button who now shows me a glimpse of the formidable racer he was once – Happy, proud, and made for speed. 


Both my dogs are coming into their own.  I know some settle into their new homes faster, but I think Hugo being more reserved took longer to dare to come out of his shell, and Petey, well heck I don’t think she even know she might have been in a shell – she too has come into her own and blossomed.  


We may be the geriatric crowd but don’t tell Petey and Hugo – let’s keep it our secret. 

Carole and her Crew

Thanks so much for sharing Petey and Hugo's tails with us!  

We still need more 'tails' to keep going with our 30 days of 'tails from home' for April!  Please consider sending in your 'tails' to share!  Send them to nlgahounds@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment