Friday, April 12, 2013

Tails from Home -- Greycie

Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers!

Our dog blog mailbox got a 'tails from home' update from Greycie's family today!  Enjoy!

The journey to owning a greyhound is as unique as their owners.  Mine started with a group of dancing greyhounds call the “Gilley Girls.”  These retired racers did tricks like I had never seen!  Kathleen Gilley and The Gilley Girls had memorized me.  It was the great MN State Fair in September of 2009.  I had just bought my house and I had been looking for just the right companion.   I walked over to the front of the Pet Building and got to meet my first greyhound up close. I talked to many volunteers who shared their knowledge about these graceful dogs.  I remember one of greyhounds leaning into my leg.  It was love at first lean. 

It only took about 24 hours for me to make my first call to Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption.  I talked with Donna and the process began.  I waited three very long months before I would meet my first girl.  Go Ahead Run, or Gigi, was what Kathleen Gilley called a “cow dog.”  And being I grew up on a farm, I knew exactly what “cow” she was referring to!  I was able to bring Gigi home on November 12, 2009.  


In preparation for her homecoming, I decided she needed a name that would fit with her cat brother Prince Hairy.  So, a contest was set up with my residents to come up with the most creative name.  A lady by the name of Ruth, who was just 92 at the time, stopped by my office one November afternoon.  She said, “your new dog needs a name as regal as your cat.”  She said, “I think you should call her Princess Grace.”  She interrupted herself and said “no, wait, how about Greycie!  Like greyhound.  You could spelling it G-R-E-Y-C-I-E.”  It was perfect!


Greycie has taken up some new hobbies since her retirement.  We purchased a green frog with a squeaky in the belly, the day we brought her home.  She still plays with the frog every day.  Froggie has had a few stitches in his belly, but still has the original squeaker!  She loves to go for rides in the car, walks at the “Big Park” (Lake Nokomis), visiting my residents, doing Meet and Greets, playing with the neighbor kids, getting her butt scratched, eating and how could I forget sleeping.  She is probably curled up right now in bed with the cat nearby.  She and her furry brother get along great, until he decides her tail is a play toy.  Greycie has learned to enjoy summer days running a few laps around my very small backyard or playing in the back yard pool.  There isn’t much that gets her worked up as she maintains a chill attitude.  She is even better than what I hoped. 


If you are interested in meeting Greycie, and her sister Havana, we host a monthly meet and greet at Pet Supplies Plus in Minneapolis the second Friday of the month (which is today!) from 6-7:30 p.m.  Please stop by and say “hi.” 

Thanks for sharing Greycie's 'tails' with us!  We hope some Dog Blog friends will stop by the meet and greet tonight to help Greycie and Havana spread the word about greyhound adoption!  It is adopt-a-greyhound month after all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment