Sunday, December 29, 2013

Leg Protector Pattern

Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers!

Well, it looks like the cold weather is upon us.  So much for the nice 'spring' thaw we had yesterday ... back to winter we go!


After a thaw and a quick plunge back into frigid weather, what do we get?  That's right.  A hard layer of crust on top of the snow.  A sharp layer of crust.  One that may likely scratch up sensitive greyhound skin when their legs break through that layer finding that perfect spot.  Which will then bring mysterious drops of blood to the inside of your house.


Maybe give these a try... (A special thanks to bullyn'nelson for sharing this idea with the Dog Blog!)

Spot being a model

Here is the pattern...


Cut where indicated and remember that socks stretch!  You can always cut a little more, but you can't un-cut what has already been cut.  So cut less than you think you need and adjust once you try it on.  Do not cut across the toe as that is your neck hole. On mine I used the heel of the sock towards the front of the dog, be sure that the sock doesn't cut into the armpit of your hound.

If you give these a try, send us a picture and let us know how they work!  nlgahounds@gmail.com

Stay warm out there!  Stay safe.

18 comments:

  1. Glad I found this post! My GSP has a laceration on the front of his leg. After the Vet stitched it up, 2 days later one side was open. Was told they couldn't redo it. So he has to wear the cone longer. We had been using socks, but would always fall down. I found your pattern and tried it! So far it's working perfectly!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Our Dutch/German shepherd is now wearing a rugby sock to keep his arthritic leg warm. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this when my dog had a sore on his elbow. Thank you so much for sharing! Even my vet was impressed & called in another employee to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to keep a dog from licking a sore on top of her back foot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you found anything to work yet. I HAD TO GO BIY A CONE BECAUSE NOTHING I DID WAS WORKING... ITS IT'S ALMOST HEALD NOW . I HOPE. THE LIL BUGGER GOT THE TIO OF THE CONE APART A D GOT TO HER FLIPPING FOOT.

      Delete
  5. My dog just tore his carpal pad and I used this so he wouldn't try to pull the bandage off. Thank you. Thank goodness my husband wears such long socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea thanks..little poodle is moe comfortable than in s bootie and it breathes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel and her feathers are often getting dirty just after a bath! As her legs are white too you can imagine! Whether grass, mud or pavement, after it’s been raining and I don’t want to put her in her all-in-one raincoat she gets filthy! It’s bad for her to keep being bathed too as she has a medication shampoo. So I like the sock idea, although I don’t think they will be tight enough on the legs to stop fur working it’s way down, it’s a start. She’s outgrown her leggings I bought from Pets at Home. They were good but they don’t sell them anymore and they were short. Thank you ����

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dog somehow got a cut on his leg. It's late at night and nothing is open since everyone is quarantining from Covid-19 at the moment. This was the perfect thing to keep my pup from licking his leg until I can get him looked at!! Thank you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Worked on my Boxer's back leg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I’m struggling to make this. Does anyone have a video of this? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I am not good at "just working it out" so a video clip would be great. Anyone?

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for this idea! My pup wouldn't leave a cut on his back leg alone and this has been super helpful. We were able to cut a hole and pull it over his hips. Not a pretty solution, but it stays put when he's stationary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much. This was a lifesaver to find tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises... How often should you give CBD tincture if you're treating your pet for anxiety?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again for the help. First the German Shepard with double elbow surgery(UGGG) then with the neighbors, now with my blue healer with a broken front door. Should have

    ReplyDelete
  15. THANK YOU! My Border Collie Rudy has had surgery twice because of severe infection on his right front leg from licking it. (separation anxiety or boredom) I thought he would be doomed to a cone for the rest of his life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the best idea. My dog has a hot spot and these stops her from getting to it and allows it to heal. Thank you so much for sharing this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete