Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I'm Adopted

Hi, Everybody!

My name is Day and I'm adopted! I was adopted, through Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption, by my parents on December 16, 2013.

My mama has been searching for pictures of me during my racing career but has had no luck at all in that area so my story shall begin here.....

After I had run my last race as a professional athlete, I retired from my life at the track and went to live with an incredible foster family who all helped me learn the beginnings of life in a house. They all loved me and cared for me just like I was one of their own and I know they will always be a big part of who I am. These are some pictures my foster parents took of me and there's even one of me with my foster brother and sister!



On the day I got adopted... I was SO excited when I scrambled into that room and saw my parents waiting for me that I climbed right straight up on top of them and claimed them as MIIIINE FOREVERRRRR!!!

This photo was taken by Steve, our fantastical Adoption Coordinator ... Thanks, Steve!

It was a very long six hour drive (through a snowstorm) to get to my new and for-always home but right away, I found some comfy sleeping spots just waiting for me to rest in while I settled into my new world.


It was winter-time when I moved here, to Thunder Bay, so I had to be bundled up when I went for my walks with my uncle, Derby. I'm not sure why my mama didn't get me a nice big fluffy coat like Derby gets to wear but I somehow survived the long months of snow even so.


Mama said that springtime paired with a newly fenced backyard was just what I had been needing for some fun bits of exercise... since I don't really like going for actual 'walks' and prefer, instead, to be carried most of the way.


Mama says I'm silly but I just can't help it 'cause... I like to dance, dance, dance... puts mah paws up in da air, air, air.....!


And sometimes my mama calls me her lil' funny face... I don't really get what she means by that but it makes her smile and I like that.


Even though we have lots of fun times, we've had some not-so-fun times, too, but we get through the rough spots together 'cause we're a family and that's just the way it works. Like when I had a mean ol' tumor that had to go, and my mama and my dad, they were always there to cuddle me and help me heal... they even made me giggle with their funny jokes to keep my spirits up when I just couldn't play.


Also not-so-fun... having to try on raincoats when it isn't even RAININGGG!!!


And even yet another not-so-fun thing is my Diabetes Insipidus... but I take my daily eye drops like a champ! The medicine keeps the Diabetes controlled and I always get a delicious treat right after we're done with the drops so it's actually really a win-win kinda deal.


Without a doubt, though, the fun stuff DEFINITELY overrides the not-so-fun. I've become a fantastic camper and I even learned to balance my own fruit-plate atop my paws for tent snacks while I watch my dad as he's busily building our weekend getaway cabin.


We have campfire huggles and cuddles... always a fun time!


And, I even like to ham it up tent-style with my mama!


And, what's that you ask? Is it fun playing frisbee-disc?? Let me just count the ways!!!


Most important of all... I 'nose' my family loves me and it's just where I belong.


All in all... we've had a pretty amaaaaaazing first nine months together, as a family, and every day it just keeps getting better! Here's to a GAJILLION more months still to come..... fantastic times await!!!


We'd sure love to hear all about your own start as a Greyhound Adoption Family. It's definitely an experience to be shared and cherished!

[Send your stories about the way your own greyhound adoption family started to nlgahounds@gmail.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment