Thursday, January 30, 2014

Greyt Words to Wag By!

Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers!

What a greyt day!  Today we are excited to introduce of our very own guest blogger!!!  Meet Katie...

I can't imagine living a life without dogs. They've been an integral part of my being since childhood and have influenced me in more ways than I can count. Perhaps this is why I began my college career in the path of veterinary science. As an undergraduate, I worked part-time as a veterinary technician. Although it was a job that I thoroughly enjoyed, I felt compelled to question my career path when I began writing poetry about blood work and heartworms. Shortly thereafter, I pursued a track in the field of English and in 2009, I graduated from Kansas State University with a Master of Arts in Creative Writing. Although writing is my forte, dogs are still my number one passion! As a writer, it is my goal to generate interest in and compassion for dogs, particularly Greyts in need of adoption!

I adopted my first Iggy back in 2004, and my love for Iggies, Greyts, and everything in between has only flourished since then. I am therefore VERY excited to have this opportunity to work with NLGA and to share my writing with you in a Dog Blog original series called "Greyt Words to Wag By." Each week, I will share with you a poem that honors the glory and greytness that is the greyhound!

Thank you very much for your time and for making me feel at home in this wonderful community. I appreciate all of the continued support that you provide for NLGA and for all of your happy hounds at home!


Sweater Weather
by Katie Gilstrap

She steps out and shivers.
The wisps on her withers
Rise up in defense
From the cold...

And as the wind howls,
She starts trembling her jowls
For the breeze is too brisk
To behold.

But wearing a sweater
Can make her feel better:
She's happy with
Hemp on her hide.

She'll go and explore
Then return to my door
For she'd still rather
Curl up inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment