Thursday, January 24, 2013

Follow a Hound to Retirement – Edition 006



Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers…it’s Max again!
Greyt news!... Remember in my last post when I said I was going to try to get us a guest poster to update us on what Reese, Cole, Ann, and Chita have been doing at the clinic?  Well, I found not one, but two (!), guest posters to give us an update on our newly retired friends! 
I’ll introduce our guest posters and then let them share their stories.  This is their first time writing on our blog; let’s go easy on them and maybe they will agree to be our guest bloggers again!
Let’s get to it, shall we…  Meet Anikan and Lily! 
  
Anikan
Lily

Anikan and Lily are the NLGA tests cats…they get to meet our newly retired friends face to face! 
A message from Anikan: 
Hi everyone, my name is Anikan.  Max asked me if I could give you a quick update on your new friends. 
Don’t spread this around the clinic or tell my cat friends (I doubt many of them read the ‘dog blog’ so I think I’m safe) but I’ll be honest; meeting your friends always makes me think just a little.  Sometimes I try to hide if I feel threatened.  Wouldn't you?!  But I play it cool; I have a reputation to uphold you know…I am Mr. Big Stuff …I run the place. 
I met your friend Chita this week.  He followed me around.  Literally. Followed.  Me.  Around.  I’m talking nose-to–my–rear followed me around.  Apparently he likes the smell of cat!  He didn’t show any signs of aggression towards me so I was okay with it.   Here is a picture when we first met, before the following began.  Nobody needs a picture of that, use your imagination!
Donna thought Chita did pretty well with my cat friendly test.  It is never a certainty, but he may be able to live with a kitty. 
That’s what I know! 
And a message from Lily: 
Hi, my name is Lily.  Like Anikan, I also get to meet the newly retired NGLA greyhounds.  For the most part I’m pretty easy going when it comes to meeting your friends.  It’s all just a part of my job.  Once in a while I find it necessary to show them the definition of cat-like reflexes and will throw out a quick hiss and/or bat of my paws.  It’s good to keep everyone on their toes! 
This week I meet Reese.  He was pretty excited to meet me.  Maybe just a little too excited as he had to have a talk with Donna on how to be good to kitties. 

She told him a thing or two but I’m not sure if he completely bought into it.  When he was checking me out Donna was able to call his name to distract him.  Which is good.  So maybe he could learn to be nice to us yet.  But Donna told me later that she would not feel comfortable leaving him alone with me even with his muzzle on.  Here is a picture of Reese meeting me.
Thanks for inviting me to write on your blog!
Thanks for the updates Anikan and Lily!  If anyone has other questions they would like to ask either of our guest bloggers, please leave us a comment!
I have one more item I would really like to talk about today.  And that is foster homes.  We are still in need of two more foster homes…one for Ann and one for Cole.  Yes, I’m talking to you!  NLGA really needs your help with being a foster family!  Foster families play an important role in the lives of a newly retired racer.  They open their hearts and homes to teach and train our new friends all about their new careers as pets.  This valuable experience makes it much easier for our new friends, and their new forever families, to enjoy each other right away.  Please…if you have any interest or questions in regards to being a foster family call NLGA!!  Ann and Cole will thank you! 

And, as always, also contact NLGA if you are interested in adopting Sadie, Megan, Reese, Cole, Ann, or Chita!  They all are looking for their forever homes!
Until next time,
~ Max

No comments:

Post a Comment