Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tails from Home -- Havana

Hello NLGA Dog Blog Readers,

Today's 'Tails from Home' come to us from Havana's family!  Enjoy!

The day was February 14, 2011.  It was a warm almost spring day and we were walking at Lake Nokomis.  I spotted a lady walking greyhounds!  I had never seen another greyhounds owner there before, so we jogged to catch up.  Havana, had just gotten back from Arizona and was walking with her foster Mom and foster sister Pumpkin.   Havana looked at me with the beautiful brown eyes and was shaking.  We took off Greycie’s coat and shared it with Havana.



Greycie and I started walking with Havana’s foster Mom, Kari, a few times a week.  A few weeks later, we decided we could foster her for a while and see how it went.  Havana, had some pervious home experience so the adjustment to life in our house wasn’t difficult.   She roached the first night I brought her home, and I knew it was going to be a good fit.  It took me 6-weeks to make her a permanent part of my family.  Havana, aka AMF Royal Pawn, was officially adopted on April 9, 2011. 


She has a face and coloring everyone loves.  The neighbor kids refer to her as the “Tiger.”  Her red brindle markings are reminiscent of tiger stripes.  Havana is not happy with just any spot in the house, she has to have the “perfect spot.”  She likes to be wedged between two humans in bed or cuddled up on the couch with her head in my lap.  If she wants the spot you are sitting in, she will stand and stare at you until you move over or get up.  Then she hops into the spot.  Regaining it from her takes some strategy, usually involving a treat. 

She must have missed the memo that greyhounds don’t bark.  She makes the most delightful “roo” noise when she gets excited.  Everything from walks in the park, riding in the car, or going to see “the grandmas” will get her talking and making circles around my legs.  The mailman also gets a bit of the little Girls big personality too! 

Havana gets along well her brother Hairy, and after he has had a haircut she is his best companion.   I can find the two of them curled up in a dog bed on a cold winter afternoon.  


Havana and her sister Greycie get along well “roo.”  They enjoy playing tag in the backyard and taking long naps together in the “big bed.”  I have heard greyhounds are best in pairs, and I think these two make a “purrfect” pair!

Thanks so much for sharing Havana's tails!  And Happy 2nd 'Gotcha' Day Havana!

No comments:

Post a Comment